All Mobile Air Conditioning (MAC) technicians working with cars and car derived vans, must have achieved as a minimum requirement, a refrigerant handling qualification which fulfils the European Union F-gas Regulation (EC842/2006 and Annex to Regulation EC307/2008).
The Air Conditioning route is intended for technicians whose job role involves the maintenance and repair or accident repair of light vehicles and will have contact with the vehicle Air Conditioning system during their work activities. This qualification is necessary if your job entails handling or purchasing air-con gas canisters.
The technician must be able to work unsupervised – ideally, they should be in full-time employment with at least three months experience to ensure they are familiar with the skills, knowledge and techniques required to recover and recharge vehicle Air Conditioning systems without knowingly releasing refrigerant to the atmosphere. They should also be familiar with the knowledge of the legislation applied to the use of refrigerants (F-Gas) used in the automotive industry.
IMI Level 3 Award in Automotive Refrigerant Handling (EC842 2006) (VRQ)
This level requires the technician to complete the following modules:
- Refrigerant Handling – AOM 126
- Refrigerant Cylinder Handling – AOM 127
This level requires the technician to complete the following module:
- Vehicle Air Conditioning – technology and legislation – AOM 132
The assessment ensures rigour and quality of assessment by measuring the candidate’s underpinning knowledge, including F Gas regulations. Learners must demonstrate the learning outcomes by following and achieving two assessment components which are set by IMI:
- Practical assessment
- External test (online or paper- based)
Key Benefits On Offer:
- High quality resources that will assist students’ learning
- Cost-effective support resources
- Tracking system enabling teachers to monitor learners’ progress
- Tailored learning for students through a variety of learning methods
- Access to practice questions to help prepare learners for examination
- Successful candidates will be issued with a certificate which shows they are compliant